Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veer Left/Right from Mini-waves
Had an interesting question from one of our callers from Germany. He asks, can we call Veer Right from right-handed mini-waves, or Veer Left from left handed mini-waves?

What are your thoughts? What process would you follow to figure this out and develop a reasonable rationale in your mind?
Kip Garvey
(06-12-2018, 08:42 PM)kgarvey Wrote: Had an interesting question from one of our callers from Germany. He asks, can we call Veer Right from right-handed mini-waves, or Veer Left from left handed mini-waves?

What are your thoughts? What process would you follow to figure this out and develop a reasonable rationale in your mind?

I would say no, you cannot veer right from a right-handed mini wave and you cannot veer left from a left handed mini-wave.  To figure out my response, I would re-read the callerlab definition for the call (veer right/left), in particular, the starting formation and the dance action. From a mini wave, you cannot simply move forward to the right or left, you have to pass thru or step thru first to move beyond the wave and then you can do the veer action. I would also check out my conclusion by testing and trying it out with some friends.
Good response, Eva. Always check the formal CL definitions as a first step.

The CL definition has two starting Formations: Facing Couples and Two Face Lines. Facing Couples does not enter into this consideration. However, Two Faced Lines just might. After all, isn't the center of a Two Faced Line a mini-wave?

The definition goes on to say that, when executed from Two Faced Lines, the couple in each Two Face Line dance as a unit. Well, if the starting formation is a mini-wave, isn't each individual 'a unit'?

I think you suggest that as a final test call it to friends and see what happens. This may not pass the litmus test if this simply is a move they have never experienced. If I used this technique I would first get the dancers into Two Faced Lines (CB-Swing Thru, Boys Run), then call Veer Right. See how they react in Two Faced Lines. If they do this without hesitation, I would set up a mini-wave/box and call Veer Right and see what happens.

Hds Sq - 4, Swing Thru, Centers Run, Veer Right, Trade By, Touch 1/4, Veer Right, Trade By (expecting Boxes, men paired in center facing ladies outside).

I'm not recommending you call this. Just want to see if we think it is 'legal' or not. Thoughts?
Kip Garvey
"From a Two-Faced Line, the given direction must be toward the center of the line. Each couple works as a unit and moves forward and in the given direction to finish in Back-To-Back Couples." I dont think mini waves works because you can not BOTH work as a couple and move in the same direction since you are facing in DIFFERENT directions.
Yes, the definition from two-faced lines tells 'couples' to move because that is the action of the call. However, we have several examples where individuals do calls that are 'normally' done by couples and the individuals do their part of the call. In two-faced lines, if we focus on the two center dancers, they are in a mini-wave. Why can't they do the exact same action as they would do if they were couples and simply move forward and toward each other as individuals and not couples?
Kip Garvey